Firstly, thank god it's Friday! The bus ride home is always ten times longer on a Friday, i'm so glad we only get in college 3 days a week - i'm not sure i'd cope. Well I would because this course is everything, but it'd be a lot harder.
Just a couple of things to inform anybody that's reading this nobodys blog right now.
Firstly, the website for envisionGaming should hopefully be going up mightily soon. Almost got my hand on the review copy of L4D2 today but Tom didn't bring me an Xbox 360. :(
Meanwhile, the YouTube channel is growing day by day. I'm uploading trailers and other game related footage to that channel and I have a lot of things on there pretty much as soon as they're released. I suggest you check out some of the videos. (Also, Darksiders will be the sleeper hit of Q4 09 / Q1 2010 for sure so check those videos out!)
Infact, I just finished uploading the new Serious Sam HD trailer. When I watched it I was smiling so much, the nostalgia. It really is probably the oldest game I can remember playing that well. I loved Serious Sam, and those dudes with no heads and the bomb hands still give me nightmares to date. They were pretty scary for a 8 year old, man.
Also, i'm utterly swamped with coursework this week. We got 3 pieces that are needed to be in, and they're all pretty massive pieces. We've got to present a poster to a client, that we have also been tasked with making (the pre-production stages completed in the prior task), but that one shouldn't be to bad as i've already got the poster made, it's just knowing what to say.
We also have to write an article, as if for a magazine ad, about software technologies. The actual assignment itself isn't too taxing, it's just the research we need to do so we can write sufficiently.
The big one is the 'portfolio' and pitch to 'Dragons Den'. We had to form a group of 3 and come up with a name of our group, ours being Benefactor Games, and then come up with a game idea. I was already working on one beforehand so we just went with that one. It's not so much the pitching of the game idea, and what we'll need to produce our game, but more so the portfolio (which we are graded on seperately) - there is just so much work needed to put into it.
I think i'm going to get the poster work done, then do a little bit more on the portfolio. The poster work is in on Wednesday, the article is in for Thursday and the portfolio/pitch needs to be done for Friday. I'm going to put in a lot of work on Sunday through Tuesday night and if I feel like it, i'll do it on Saturday today.
Onto new topics, i've really felt the urge to be creative with games lately so i've done two things. The Unreal Development Kit for UnrealEngine3 was made free to download to the public a few weeks ago, and I've been told (a few times) that the UE3 engine is largely regarded as the best engine to work with in the industry as of late. So I decided to download it and start getting to grips with how the engine works, the lighting is beautiful but i've not really done much with it yet, I just basically followed the 'Creating a Level' guide/tutorial on the Epic website.
The other thing i've decided to do, to get my creative juices flowing mainly, is something that i've done quite often in the past. I've been working with the Source Development Kit (mainly the Hammer Editor) on/off for the past 5 or so years, since the release of Half Life 2, basically. Whenever I get the urge to be creative, or need some inspiration, I always hop in that editor and make something pretty. Not necessarily something ergonomic or realistic, just something that looks good on the eyes. I'm sure you're just dying to see what I made, but it's not done yet. I'll get those screenies out when it's respectable. :)
Just one more thing, i'm going to go and play the latest Tales of Monkey Island adventure now, and i'm going to play Serious Sam later, (the latest trailer for SSHD turned me on so bad.) So think of me while i'm having fun!
Just a couple of things to inform anybody that's reading this nobodys blog right now.
Firstly, the website for envisionGaming should hopefully be going up mightily soon. Almost got my hand on the review copy of L4D2 today but Tom didn't bring me an Xbox 360. :(
Meanwhile, the YouTube channel is growing day by day. I'm uploading trailers and other game related footage to that channel and I have a lot of things on there pretty much as soon as they're released. I suggest you check out some of the videos. (Also, Darksiders will be the sleeper hit of Q4 09 / Q1 2010 for sure so check those videos out!)
Infact, I just finished uploading the new Serious Sam HD trailer. When I watched it I was smiling so much, the nostalgia. It really is probably the oldest game I can remember playing that well. I loved Serious Sam, and those dudes with no heads and the bomb hands still give me nightmares to date. They were pretty scary for a 8 year old, man.
Also, i'm utterly swamped with coursework this week. We got 3 pieces that are needed to be in, and they're all pretty massive pieces. We've got to present a poster to a client, that we have also been tasked with making (the pre-production stages completed in the prior task), but that one shouldn't be to bad as i've already got the poster made, it's just knowing what to say.
We also have to write an article, as if for a magazine ad, about software technologies. The actual assignment itself isn't too taxing, it's just the research we need to do so we can write sufficiently.
The big one is the 'portfolio' and pitch to 'Dragons Den'. We had to form a group of 3 and come up with a name of our group, ours being Benefactor Games, and then come up with a game idea. I was already working on one beforehand so we just went with that one. It's not so much the pitching of the game idea, and what we'll need to produce our game, but more so the portfolio (which we are graded on seperately) - there is just so much work needed to put into it.
I think i'm going to get the poster work done, then do a little bit more on the portfolio. The poster work is in on Wednesday, the article is in for Thursday and the portfolio/pitch needs to be done for Friday. I'm going to put in a lot of work on Sunday through Tuesday night and if I feel like it, i'll do it on Saturday today.
Onto new topics, i've really felt the urge to be creative with games lately so i've done two things. The Unreal Development Kit for UnrealEngine3 was made free to download to the public a few weeks ago, and I've been told (a few times) that the UE3 engine is largely regarded as the best engine to work with in the industry as of late. So I decided to download it and start getting to grips with how the engine works, the lighting is beautiful but i've not really done much with it yet, I just basically followed the 'Creating a Level' guide/tutorial on the Epic website.
The other thing i've decided to do, to get my creative juices flowing mainly, is something that i've done quite often in the past. I've been working with the Source Development Kit (mainly the Hammer Editor) on/off for the past 5 or so years, since the release of Half Life 2, basically. Whenever I get the urge to be creative, or need some inspiration, I always hop in that editor and make something pretty. Not necessarily something ergonomic or realistic, just something that looks good on the eyes. I'm sure you're just dying to see what I made, but it's not done yet. I'll get those screenies out when it's respectable. :)
Just one more thing, i'm going to go and play the latest Tales of Monkey Island adventure now, and i'm going to play Serious Sam later, (the latest trailer for SSHD turned me on so bad.) So think of me while i'm having fun!
No comments:
Post a Comment